Tuesday, November 13, 2012

We Survived Hurricane Sandy. Now What?


I live on the Texas Gulf Coast. I have lived through a lot of hurricanes and tropical storms. Yet last month, I flew into New York City for a hurricane. Why? Following my recent book launch, I had a lot of important media events, including a potentially game-changing TEDx talk, scheduled starting on October 30. This SQ work is my passion and mission. I didn't want to miss these events because of cancelled flights.
So I left on the second-to-last flight out of Houston to Newark, and arrived at my hotel hoping that Sandy would be more hype than horror. As a storm veteran, I brought a flashlight, extra batteries, boxes of granola bars, and other food with me. I verified that the hotel had a backup generator just in case. I confirmed we were not in the Zone A evacuation area. I stocked up on some bottled water, filled the tub, and hunkered down. Over the next few days, the local news crew became my primary companions.
Hurricane Sandy exceeded the worst expectations. Tragedy was everywhere. I watched the local news for hours and hours a day. I prayed like crazy through the storm and afterward for those who were suffering. I am still praying.
My appointments were cancelled, the conference postponed. Yet I was glad to be there in Manhattan for the week. Why? Because it was a chance to experience (not just think about) life, and what really matters. Here are a few of the truths I was grateful to re-experience. Perhaps you experienced this too?

No comments:

Post a Comment