Friday, November 28, 2014

Morocco hit by floods killing 32 people and leaving hundreds stranded

Morocco hit by floods killing 32 people and leaving hundreds stranded

Dozens of homes swept away as heavy rain turns normally-dry riverbed into free-flowing watercourse


"Days of unusually heavy rain pounded Morocco’s south and unleashed deadly floods that killed 32 people, the country’s interior ministry said on Monday.
Near the southern city of Guelmim alone, 24 people died, with 11 bodies recovered from a valley which is normally a dry riverbed but had been turned into a raging torrent by flooding.
The army and national police rescued 214 people, including 40 by helicopter. Two French nationals were also rescued.
There are also reports that dozens of homes have been swept away and bridges cut off by the flooding."

I chose this article because flooding is a very extreme and bizarre occurrence to me. Living in the city of Chicago my whole life, I've never experience flooding. I mean, a little flooding if the alley way filled with some water from bad plumbing and pot holes is considered flooding. It saddens me that people have to lose their lives to natural disasters because I feel like deaths can be prevented if proper warnings and rescue measures are taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment